Idle Thoughts

Daily musings and demented, psychotic ponderings

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I like music a lot, I played guitar most of my life and even was in a band once. I could spend hours playing music by myself or entertaining others. I was good, maybe even pretty good, but never REALLY good. I have 3 Fender Guitars that now have an inch of dust on them. I haven't touched them since March 25, 2001 and I never will again.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Not a normal work day!

As I drove into the parking lot the rain appeared to be coming down quite hard but that is always misleading when driving because it could just be the forward motion of the truck. However after getting out and walking toward the door to the back of the building where I work; my first impression was correct, I was drenched by the time I reached the door.
While I fumbled for the key in the small plastic pouch that I kept in my pocket I was transformed into a drowned rat.
The back door that I went in is actually the door to the loading dock and once inside you have to go through yet another locked door to reach the inner sanctum. As I started to unlock this door the handle moved in my hand and I realized it was not locked. I thought this a bit odd but passed it off as an oversight by one of my employees and went on. I opened the door and stepped inside and then felt something sticky on my hand, the hand I had opened the door with. I brought my hand up to my face to make sure it wasn’t something gross and immediately saw red, blood, and then stopped in my tracks.
What the hell, I thought someone must have gotten hurt somehow, great! Now I’ll have to fill out a mess of accident forms and the whole administrative thing. I started past the forms room where we put forms packets together as well as print documents and process mail. I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary at first but felt something wasn’t quite right.
I went into the room and walked around the large shelving unit that also functioned as a room divider and saw my forms clerk sitting in his chair slumped over his desk in a pool of blood. I ran over to him thinking it must have been him that was injured and saw that his head had been split open exposing his brain. He was quite dead.
My gawd, I thought, who in the hell would do such a thing as I turned I noticed the bloody footprints on the carpet leading first over to the shelf where we kept the folding machine and the paper cutter. The large razor sharp blade of the paper cutter was missing, it had been removed and was almost certainly the murder weapon.
I picked up the phone to call 911 and could not get a dial tone. I turned and ran out of the room turning right toward my office. Something caught my eye and I looked to the left to see another one of my employees lying on the floor in the isle between the shelving units. She was also lying in a pool of blood and her body seemed to be in an awkward position. I went to her to see if she was alive but found half of her face missing and the one remaining eye staring blankly at the ceiling, the light gone from it and knew she was also dead.
For a moment I was paralyzed, I didn’t know what was going on but this hadn’t happened long ago and the killer could still be in the room.
I stepped over the file clerk and walked softly to the other end of the isle by the wall. I slid quietly between the wall and the row of shelving until I got to the front end where I could peer out and see the front of the room as well as the cubicles that were against the far wall.
More carnage, the employee in the corner unit had been hacked to pieces. There were blood and body parts everywhere. Blood was still dripping from the file cabinets and the work surfaces surrounding her. I have seen a lot of death in my time and usually did not get squeamish but since I knew and liked these people it was hard to keep my stomach contents in my stomach.
I looked down the row and tried to determine if someone could be crouching down behind the cubicle panels, but couldn’t be sure. I stepped out into the isle and walked slowly toward my office at the far side of the room. As I went I peeked over and around each partition to see if someone might be waiting to leap out at me. But like the rest I passed one dead employee after another until I reached the supervisors office. I looked through the open doorway and seen her drenched in blood lying backwards across her desk, her head flopped over the end close to me and her normally blond hair a dark red now, was dripping into a small puddle on the carpet beneath her. Her eyes were wide open looking back at me. She had a frightening shocked look froze on her face as though she had been surprised and couldn’t believe what had obviously happened to her.
I turned to look at the mail person’s desk, which was on the opposite side of that area in the room but to my relief did not see her.
I moved to my office and as usual my door was closed the way I left it. I put my hand on the lever and slowly pushed it down and then pushed the door open just far enough so I could let go of the handle and peek into the room. It was dark as it should be but that meant I had to slide my hand inside to the light switch and in doing so risked having it cut off by whoever might be inside.
I decided against that and quickly pulled my hand back. I took one step backward and then brought my foot forward and kicked the door the rest of the way open. Hoping if there were someone inside it would either hit them or at the very least startle them so that I could see what I was up against before having to deal with them.
The door shot open very quickly and slammed into the adjoining wall and then just as quickly slammed shut.
Damn! I slowly put my ear up to the door to see if I could hear any noise from inside the office. After a minute or so I once again pushed down on the lever and pushed the door open, this time more slowly so that it wouldn’t slam shut. I starred hard trying to see in the dark and didn’t see anything. I reached in and hit the switch immediately bathing the room in light and allowing myself to breath again.
I rushed into the office and picked up my phone only to find it was not working either. I slumped down into my chair and for a moment wasn’t sure what I was going to do. The whole thing seemed too surreal, how in the hell could this have happened. How could my employees and friends be dead?
I mentally took an inventory of my employees that I knew were dead and realized that three were missing. The mail clerk, the senior storekeeper and his assistant were not in the room. I stood and retrieved a pair of scissors from the bin above my desk and then started out the door. My mind started searching for excuses and reasons but I knew there couldn’t be any reasonable excuses for this. I thought for a second that maybe the three missing employees were somehow in this together but quickly dismissed that thought. That didn’t seem possible, but I had no idea what was actually going on. I opened the door that led to the hallway and into the rest of the building.
I stuck my head out and looked both ways as if I were about to cross the street and didn’t see anything. I stepped outside in the hallway and listened to see if I could hear anyone else in the building. There were normally over a hundred people in the building at this time in the morning so there should have been other noise, but there was none.
I hurried across the hallway to the IT area and using my key card swiped the lock, opened the door and stepped inside. I moved toward the work area passing a room on either side as I went. I looked in and saw nothing in either room, but as I came around the corner on the left there was a pile of bodies on the floor. They had been hacked to pieces and pulled to that location judging by the bloody trails on the carpet leading from several different directions.
I moved around the pile and went to the manager’s office. I looked through the window on the door but it was dark inside and had to once again open the door into a dark room.
Thankfully there was enough light in the work area to illuminate the interior of the office and I immediately ascertained there was no one inside, alive.
The manager was leaning back in his chair staring at the door and me upon entering. His eyes wide open. His forehead had been split open and his eyes were now much further apart than they had been.
I turned and left the office and then walked out of the area as well. I went into the hallway and looked up and down the hall but saw nothing. I decided to go outside and look to see if the vans were in the parking lot. This might tell me where my other employees were.
As I stepped out the door I noticed the blue cargo van was still in it’s space and moved over to look inside. As I came near the van I noticed blood smeared on the drivers side door and on the window. My Storekeepers head was laying face down on the steering wheel, his arms hanging loosely at his sides. I moved around to the other side and found my assistant storekeeper lying halfway in the van and halfway out onto the ground from the side cargo door. Blood was dripping off the bottom edge of the van and I knew there was no point in checking for life.
Ah, I seen his cell phone still clutched in his hand. I reached down and tried to take it from him but it wouldn’t come free. I had to pry it from his sticky fingers and wipe the blood from the keyboard so I could see the numbers.
I walked back toward the building while pushing 911 and just I started to push the send button I heard the familiar ring of the radio function on the phone.
I stopped in the middle of the fire lane that runs the length of the back of the building.
I keyed the radio button, “This is Don, go ahead”.
“Mail delivery!” came the voice back through the radio.
I heard a motor and squealing tires and turned just in time to see this older style VW Vanagon painted up like a circa 1967 flower power hippy van coming straight at me with no indication of slowing. I dove out of the way and as the crazy mail lady in a car that could have only been inspired by Timothy Leary, flew past me and threw a mailbag out the window as she went. She had this maniacal look on her face as though she were on a European Holiday.
The mailbag that had been thrown from the flower power wagon landed in my lap. It seemed a bit too heavy and lumpy to be full of letters so hesitantly I pulled on the drawstrings and opened the bag.
There were several heads in the bag along with some mail, which led me to believe that the heads may belong to postal workers. All except one of course, the one I recognized, the dark one with the shiny head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home