Idle Thoughts

Daily musings and demented, psychotic ponderings

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I like music a lot, I played guitar most of my life and even was in a band once. I could spend hours playing music by myself or entertaining others. I was good, maybe even pretty good, but never REALLY good. I have 3 Fender Guitars that now have an inch of dust on them. I haven't touched them since March 25, 2001 and I never will again.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Golden Years

Have you ever stopped and thought about the rest of your life? I don’t mean in the way you might think about doing something or getting something or living somewhere. I mean just think about the rest of your life. If it continues on like the present, no change, which is probably the way things will go. After all how much has your life truly changed in the last five or ten years? Again I don’t mean material objects or knowledge/experience gained but true changes. Are you living differently, are you in a different place seeing completely different people and doing completely different things than before?
This planet we call home is a good place for a dog. But for a human it sucks because most of us want more than we will ever have. There is no peace or contentment to be had, only the knowledge that we will never have it.
Do you see yourself getting old? What will you do? Will you spend your time sitting on the bench that you now pass by every day without thought? Will you sit in the old bar on Main Street or at the edge of town where although many “oldsters” hang out; you wouldn’t be seen in now?
What do you do now for fun? Will you continue to do that then? Will you be able to afford it?
Every one seems to think that retirement is the “Golden Age”. Ahh, just think about it, no more meetings, no more getting up and going to work at a certain time, no more tasks that must be completed. Ahh yes, just… what? Sleep in? Sit around? Watch TV all day? Drink beer until your drunk and then drink until your sober and then start over?
Okay that’ll be fun for a week but then what?

2 Comments:

Blogger veach glines said...

After reading Idle Thoughts for a few weeks, I sense an overall unhappiness. Your unhappiness is sometimes turned around, as in your creative non-fiction story 'The Clegger' (which brings me to ask: are you ever going to relate to us what the second paranormal/supernatural event was?).

However, your tone carries a weight that sounds unhappy with old age or growing old (or am I mistaken and your are merely posing questions to cause others to think?)

12:11 PM  
Blogger half_cent said...

I do write to activate thought in whomever may read my blog although there is also "no joy in mudville" these days either.

The second event was an electronic noise that was left on my voice mail that simply said Eric. The word Eric was quite clear and verified by several people who I let hear it. But the message was not left by a human voice but rather like static or something.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home