Idle Thoughts

Daily musings and demented, psychotic ponderings

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I like music a lot, I played guitar most of my life and even was in a band once. I could spend hours playing music by myself or entertaining others. I was good, maybe even pretty good, but never REALLY good. I have 3 Fender Guitars that now have an inch of dust on them. I haven't touched them since March 25, 2001 and I never will again.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Home is where the sharks are.

What are you going to do when it’s too hot to even go into the water? It had better cool down because it’s almost August on the Pacific coast which means Abalone will soon be of prime concern to those like me that cannot seem to stay out of shark infested waters.
I don’t know if it’s the primordial soup calling me back home or just the brilliant colors of another world that we can only visit but never again live in.
Although I do truly love to dive for and then eat the giant snails I doubt it’s the prey that keeps bringing me back as I still have a couple in my Kenmore, more like the hunt I suspect.
There is something calming about being in the ocean and seeing things that are both familiar and surprising at the same time. These sights have probably been genetically imprinted on our gray matter for eons but having built a world outside of the Earths womb in order to show off our thumbs, we have, most of us; forgotten that part of us that now only lingers in our sleeping thoughts.
Every type of activity has its following of crazy’s, skydivers, rock climbers, surfers, bikers, scuba and free divers, they are all the same only different. Different in the way they see themselves against the backdrop of normal life. They tend to hang together to limit having to explain to people who don’t get it. But they also play off each other, pushing themselves to ever-greater lengths, mostly for the purpose of perfecting their skills but also for that rush that the sport holds for them. I have done them all and totally enjoy them all but, the one thing that diving does that none of the others can do is put us back where life on this planet began. It’s a feeling of belonging and being in an alien environment at the same time.
For me, there’s nothing quite like driving to the coast parking in a lot on the beach where people of various shapes, ages, gender and varying degrees of “hotness” are half naked either changing to or from their wetsuits, drinking cold beers from the back of their vehicles and showing the world that at least for an hour or so they are totally free.
The strange thing is that everything in the ocean is beautiful, brightly colored and extraordinary to look at while it’s in the ocean. But once removed from the water and held hostage in dry dock it turns ugly and useless. Makes me think, maybe humans should have quit while we were ahead. While we were still beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home